Happy Mothers Day! How often do we sit back and reflect on everything our Mama has done for us?
Maybe the answer is not quite enough. That's why along with taking your Mom to dinner, buying her a tulip bouquet and the sweetest of sweet cards, you should give your Mama a gift she'll always remember that represents your fair trade, environmentally friendly values. We're just trying to care for the world like we want to care for our Mamas anyway, right?
1. The Biratu Charm earrings from Raven & Lily have a jaw dropping story--they're made in Ethiopia and transformed from bullet casings that were intended to harm into beautiful jewelry. These earrings will remind your mother that no matter what she has gone through, there is always beauty to be found when the dust has settled. The earrings also employ women who are HIV+ to provide them with hope for a better future.
2. Does your Mama got a green thumb? This Sari Macrame Planter is a perfect addition to adorn the kitchen windows when Mom is cleaning up dishes after a long day. The fabric hanger is also made from recycled saris, so your conscience is soothed knowing something with so many lives can keep on living with new plants and quiet morning sunshine.
3. The older we get the more conscious we become of what we're putting on our bodies and into our systems, especially in regards to our everyday beauty products. Protect and soothe Mom with Mermaid's Purse Organic Olive Lotion. It's super luscious and available in a variety of scents and locally made in Louisiana. Don't forget, ALL of the ingredients are listed, easy to pronounce and 100% organic.
4. Mothers Day puts a spring in our step! The beauty of spring is that it isn't all about holidays--it's the season of growth, potential and brand new beginnings. Help Mama get green with the Passion Lilie Green Striped Scarf! It's 100% cotton and ikat handwoven, aka super lush and lovely for the budding sunshine. Plus, it's fair trade and employs rural artisans in India by utilizing traditional crafting techniques.
5. Let's face it--all Moms have a goofy vintage muse that EVERY child is aware of. Is it Mickey Mouse? Strawberry Shortcake? Star Wars? Good for you--Bonga Chop, a local New Orleans company, creates fantastic make-up bags out of vintage sheets that are sure to bring a flood of awesome memories to your Mom. We may be partial to this precious Hugga Bunch bag, but the Etsy shop is chock full of whimsical bags made with 100% recycled sheets.
6. Sometimes Mamas need that extra push to replace some old everyday essentials--say, their wallet. A Mom will find 500 other things more important to her than buying a wallet, that's where YOU step in. This gorgeous hand-spun Indigo Florentine Foldover Wallet by Joyn India is to DIE for--it is made of vegan leather, fair trade and hand block-printed. It is so beautiful you may just have to buy a matching one for yourself!
7. Who doesn't love another go-to layering piece? This Annabelle Cardigan from Krochet Kids is fantastic for mama to throw on in the morning making coffee and run to the post office in in the afternoon. Plus, every Krochet Kids piece is signed by the person who made it so you can look up their life story on their website. Talk about connection!
8. No two Moms are ever the same, but every Mom can find her favorite color of the rainbow within the blossoms on the Amala Midi Skirt. With deep pockets for daily treasures and a decorative bow that can be tied in the front or the back, Mom will love lounging in this all spring long.
9. Way, way back in Mom's closet is her little black dress and it's been far too long since she's pulled it out. Entice her to wear it to dinner on Mother's Day and surprise her with this gorgeous Hunter Bright Gold and Glass Bead Necklace from The Starfish Project. It'll be a lovely, tailored accent to her classic style and supports women who are recovering from human trafficking.
10. When it comes down to it, all Mothers Day is about is honoring and appreciating the heart of your mother and how strong she is everyday for you. Show her your love all year long with this fair-trade, handcrafted Careful Heart Candleholder so she can light up her own world no matter where you go.
Earth Day 2017 is April 22nd and it is more important than ever to recognize the importance of sustainability and caring for our ailing planet. Earth Day is just the day to reflect on what you can do to make small, everyday changes that can overwhelm the world.
Here are five fun, free, thoughtful things to do in the New Orleans area and abroad this Earth Day!
1. City Park in New Orleans will be hosting a family-friendly celebration this Earth Day in their Botanical Gardens including but not limited to children's games, acoustic performances and cooking demonstrations focusing on green ways of living. Local eco-friendly vendors will also be selling their goods. There is no cost of attendance although donations to City Park are accepted.
2. Take a hike at your local national park. Our closest one is Jean Lafitte National Park at the Barataria Preserve. If you're a local or visiting, there is no better day than Earth Day to relish in the beauty of the bayou and spot wild alligators, armadillos and more.
3. Read Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. This ground-breaking book is still just as sinister and terrifying as it was in its original publication in regards to capturing what our world would look like with a silent springtime. Carson was a pioneer in articulating the dangers of using pesticides on our environment and has paved the way for meaningful social change to bar and protect vulnerable agriculture.
4. Write your congressman or representative about your concerns, praise or thoughts on protecting your local environment. Every city is facing different issues or changes in regards to the environment and Earth Day is the time to raise your voice for the single most important living entity that connects us all. Make this a more social activity by meetings with friends, co-workers or colleagues to contact your representatives and going on said eco-friendly hike afterwards.
5. There is no better time than now to plant those random seeds you have had around the house! Find miscellaneous pots or planters and begin making a home for your new seeds to they have the room to evolve into new, beautiful plants. Plants provide oxygen to the body and positive energy to the mind. Therefore, don't be shy in building a green fortress in and around your home.
It's festival season however you like to do it whether it's Jazz Fest, Coachella or Bonnaroo. That means it's the time of year to break out all of the funkiest clothing and think about bare necessities at the same time--you're out all day in the heat with only only what you can (or want) to carry on you. What are the fest necessities this season? No worries, we've got you covered with our favorite picks for fair trade, organic and handmade items to whip out this season!
1. First things first: the pants. Passion Lilie's Chevron Pants are a dreamy blue that our customers love for festi season. With a choice slit along the sides of the pant leg, they're absolutely perfect for dancing & feeling that vital breeze simultaneously.
2. No fest is complete without ALL of the fringe. That's why we love this Manos Zapotecas Harvest Feather Paloma Fringe Bag. All of their designs are fair-trade and crafted by women in Oaxaca, Mexico. Plus, that cross-body is oh so necessary when you can't get bogged down by excess!
3. We're huge fans of Matr Boomie, a fair trade brand based out of Austin, TX that works with rural artisans in India. We're also huge fans of layering bangles for that effortlessly chic yet boho look. This sleek design is perfect for that golden pop on a sunny day.
4. There is no buzzkill worse than mosquito bites during a fest. Keep yourself protected with this vegan blend of essential oils that will combat nasty pests both day and night. Plus, CakeFace Soaping is women-owned and based in Slidell, LA. Score!
5. Fests are all about pacing: pace yourself to dance all night but allot time during the day to check out local vendors and buy some souvenirs. Passion Lilie's Peacock Tote is perfect for that boho touch on an everyday necessity to store all of your new goodies!
6. Show your nomad with the Thai Elephant Slip Ons by Inkkas! Inkkas are based out of Brooklyn, NY and apart from all fabric being fair trade from South America, they plant one tree with every purchase you make!
7. We adore the designs of Still Water Jewelry based out of Slidell, LA. This Horseshoe necklace is adorned with freshwater peals, bringing a piece of the land and the sea to wherever you may be at your fest.
8. Mantra of all festivals: expect the unexpected. Expect the cool morning and the blazing afternoons, the downpour at midnight and the fog when you wake up. Having a the Passion Lilie Peach Arrow Poncho soothes any worries of not having anything to keep you warm and cozy when you may need it.
In short, have all of the fun & stay safe this festival season!
Items listed in this blog available at passionlilie.com or at 3207 Burgundy St. New Orleans, LA 70117- store hours Friday- Monday 12-6pm.
Spring always brings a host of changes to Passion Lilie designs and invigorates customers and our designer, Katie, alike. This spring brings a host of new silhouettes, patterns and designs that we have never tried before sprinkled with a couple fan favorites. I sat down to catch up with Katie to get a glimpse into her mind for the inspiration behind the Spring 2017 line. Check out a sneak peek of three BRAND NEW designs below and the story beneath the fabric:
Pink Pomegranate Dress
"This is a new silhouette for Passion Lilie that we have never done before! I love a simple shift dress but I also love things that look fitted at the same time. The dress has darts in the front and the back so it tailors to the body. I also wanted to reference fruit and summertime. Plus, I love pink because it is a color that will make you feel good when you wear it."
Aloha Blue Flowers Dress
"My inspiration is Hawaii and that beachy tropical vibe. Flowery prints like this are very typical in Hawaii. I'm a costume history buff and I love the turn of the century styles with an empire wast line, it's very flattering for a lot of body types."
La Rosa Dress
"I've done quite a bit of travelling and I have always loved ethnic prints and dresses that are beachy and breezy and can simply be comfortable for travelling. I wanted something flowy and easy to slip on that was a bit loose at the waist where you can indulge for dinner but still be comfortable in your dress. I've been wanting to do embroidery for a long time and in terms of the style I wanted a South American boho vibe, which is why the flowers are a throwback to vintage embroidery. This is another new silhouette for Spring 2017!"
Check back in with us in the beginning of March to see our FULL Spring 2017 line of brand-new fair trade clothing from Passion Lilie!
Passion Lilie and other ethical clothing companies in our sphere focus heavily on the use of cotton for clothing designs. Often people are excited by the resurgence of cotton use or may ask, “Why cotton?”
We choose cotton because you can feel the difference—if you are at a boutique and run your hands over a rack of clothes, you can immediately pick out the cotton pieces. Why is cotton so timeless?
The oldest cotton relic in the world are bits found in Mexican caves over 7000 years ago. It was initially grown and developed in Eurasia in 600 BC by Egyptian migrants who settled in what is now Pakistan. These merchants introduced woven cotton textiles to Europe around 80 A.D which opened up the commercial route and public craving for cotton products. It is even recorded that Christopher Columbus found cotton growing in the Bahamas, therefore inspiring the growth of cotton production throughout the United States soon after.
At one point, imported Indian calicos and chintz cotton textiles—cheaper cotton fabrics that were popular in the lower/middle classes of Europe—grew to be so popular that it drove British manufacturers to the brink of collapse. British legislation was passed to ban these imported textiles to allow British industry to revive. This eventually evolved further into Britain importing raw Indian cotton, spinning it into textiles and then exporting those textiles right back to India.
Needless to say, even with an extremely miniature history lesson, cotton was been one of the most contentious and highly coveted commodities of modern times. However, cotton has seen a steady decline in the current state of clothing manufacturing due to the rise of man-made fabrics, such as polyester.
Polyester is derived from coal, water and petroleum. The textile is formed due to a chemical reaction between acid and alcohol. Polyester is often not seen as a valuable textile because it is thinner and less durable than its natural counterpart. Plus, polyester and other man-made textiles are not biodegradable—as in, if you throw away an old H&M t-shirt made of polyester because it became crumpled in the wash, it will never break down in a dump or a landfill. Whereas cotton, the natural counterpart, will biodegrade in a compost pile within weeks.
We don’t often think about the life after our clothes and the importance of supporting natural fibers. We all may not be able to buy environmentally friendly cars or solar panels on our home, but we have a choice in the kinds of clothing we can buy. Cotton does not rely on the further extraction of fossil fuels which contribute directly to climate change for manufacturing. When cotton does need to be disposed of, it can break down in our world naturally.
Next time you are picking out that perfect dress or top for a night out, think to check the tag of the item to see what material it is made from and try to find pieces that are made of cotton. Your money will go farther and the earth will thank you.
If you are anything like me, the holiday season, birthdays, baby showers—essentially any event that entails a gift—gives you equal parts anxiety and elation. I’m quick to pick the gifts for my friends that I would obviously enjoy, but not always what my bestie would really want. But the best way to pick out a gift? Figure out their sign—their imprint in the stars gives away everything you need to know about their character to nail that perfect gift. And, to boot, all of these gifts are ethically sourced and give back to the earth and communities around the world. What’s not to love?
Capricorns tend to be the practical force in your life. They’re resourceful and surrogate parents when you need them to be, so they tend to gravitate towards gifts that are actually functional— you know, that they will actually use. Behold, the You Can and You Will Mug by Lionheart Prints. Not only is the mug functional for your everyday cup of coffee, but these words of wisdom will inspire the Capricorn of your life, or whoever they interact with throughout their day, first thing in the AM.
What truly stimulates the Aquarius is a gift that spurs their intellectual curiosity and provides them something new and creative to learn about. Check out this Kantha Beaded Grid Cuff, it’s handmade by artisan collectives in India by recycled saris. When the saris wear down, they are wrapped around these tiny wooden beads and transformed into gorgeous accessories! The stories wrapped up in these wooden beads are sure to tickle the heart and mind of that quirky Aquarius in your life.
The Pisces is the dreamer of the zodiac. A natural explorer, the sign of the fish tends to go with the waves and get lost constantly in their own imaginations. This Looking Glass Gloria Tote by Manos Zapotecas is a win-win—it has the stitching quality and design to purely marvel at and soothing blue accents to let your Pisces drift off seamlessly into their daydreams. Don’t worry, they’ll return to their meeting at work or family party with no regret for daydreams of the sea because it’s THAT beautiful.
The Aries has a streak of independence and contagious enthusiasm that can never be tamed. Have they been talking about taking that Route 66 road-trip for, like, ever? Gift them this Yami Black Backpack to give them that final push to take the adventure they’ve been dreaming about. This backpack is made by women in Ethiopia out of ethical leather and vegetable tanned. Just wait for the Aries to rave about their trip when they return home!
The Taurus is by far the earthiest sign in the stars. They don’t mind being alone and, at times, they actually prefer their alone time to contemplate and meditate about the meaning of their lives. That’s why this Oil Spill Choker by Porter Lyons would specifically call to them. The Occo Occo Geode stone encourages a free way of thinking and victory to work or play. Also, Porter Lyons is also New Orleans and women-owned. Score!
Geminis are the sign of two faces—they thrive on their own split personalities. Since they are an inconsistent character, a gift that compliments their impulsive nature is key. The Black Dash Poncho by—you guessed it—Passion Lilie is absolutely perfect for them! With an open, flowing design and a sash to taper in the fabric for a more fitted look, this layering piece of excellent for that Gemini in your life to get the best of both worlds.
Cancers are the pendulum sign in the zodiac. At first, they have an impermeable shell but when you become close to one, they have gooey, emotional centers that they protect relentlessly. What better way to embrace their warm, gooey center this holiday season than the best way to break through anyone’s shell: chocolate. Rich, decadent, ethical chocolate. We recommend Divine Chocolate with Hazelnuts and Cranberries to ring in the holiday season, and all incoming mood shifts for better and for worse that they bring.
Leos crave a gift that will scream LOOK AT ME. The queen of the fire signs, Leos are rambunctious with a massive ego that demands respect and adoration. They are the proudest of the zodiac pack, and you can trust that the chief Leo at Passion Lilie, yours truly, ADORES all colors that provide the perfect POP off of a white or black top. Behold, this gorgeous jewel-toned Classic Olive Ikat Scarf! It’s heavy enough to withstand wind and such an attention-grabber, I only have people ask me “Where did you get that scarf?!” about twelve times a day.
Virgos are perceptive and always plotting out their next steps in life. It is imperative for them to be mentally organized, therefore this Uzma Wood Journal will help them unleash their fullest potential for greatness—in their own style. This journal is made of wood and recycled cotton remnants in Northern India and provides low-income women opportunities for social prosperity.
There is no better friend in the zodiac than the Libra. Eternally fixed on always trying to make people happy, Libra’s are professionals at knowing how to see the world through another person’s shoes. That’s why a necklace from The Giving Keys would strike a true nerve in them. Crafted in Los Angeles by individuals transitioning out of homelessness, each necklace is made from recycled keys that are engraved with a word or phrase that the wearer needs for themselves, such as ‘Courage’ or ‘Strength.’ The idea is to pass on the necklace—and therefore the word—to someone in their life who needs that word more than they do when the time comes.
Scorpio’s are fiercely persistent and independent beyond measure. They need to be in control and have something they can use to their precise liking. That’s why this Cake Face Soaping Variety Pack is the BEST gift for the Scorpio in your life—they can use however much they like at any given time for any given day. Cake Face Soaping is also vegan, handmade and locally Louisiana owned.
There is one thing a Sagittarius despises above all other things—boredom. They always need mental and physical stimulation to unleash their curiosities. That’s why this Indian Rosewood Box Puzzle is the perfect gift to grace their desk at work or their coffee table in their spare down time! This puzzle is handmade in India by rural artisans and provides them a fair wage that quadruples their typical monthly income.
Everyone knows what it is like to rush into your local big-box retailer on Black Friday for deals on a myriad of items or holding off until the following Monday to go crazy on Amazon or another online retailer on Cyber Monday. However, how much of that money generated from those purchases actually goes back into your local community and economy?
Let’s talk a few numbers. There are 27 million small business nationwide which employ 77 million Americans. Small businesses increase local real estate values by 50% and 3 out of every 4 dollars spent locally go back into the community.
Not so small now, huh? Small Businesses contribute to the makeup of America in such a massive way that American Express took initiative in 2010 to launch the first Small Business Saturday and give small business a platform we rightfully deserve. The day turned out to be a massive success and, to talk a few more numbers, 95 million people come out to shop and 14.3 billion was spent on that single day across the country.
After the initial launch of Small Business Saturday, the United States Senate unanimously supported a resolution to honor the day and what it brings to local economies. In these volatile political times, Small Business Saturday represents the nonpartisan, core values of the American Dream—hard work, perseverance and creativity that uplifts communities.
To Passion Lilie, Small Business Saturday shows solidarity within our neighborhood, our city and our global community from New Orleans to India. We are so proud to be participating and invite you to join us in celebrating in person at our showroom at 3207 Burgundy Street in New Orleans, LA or online at passionlilie.com.
Our deals for 11/25-11/29:
* The first 10 shoppers in store will receive a FREE Small Business Saturday Tote
* Spend $50 and receive a FREE Passion Lilie Tote Bag
* 25% off Clearance Items with Coupon Code FairIsTheNewBlack
* 10% off Regular Priced Items with Coupon Code SmallBiz
* $20 off orders over $100 with Coupon Code CyberMonday
Click HERE to shop.
3207 Burgundy Street
New Orleans, LA 70117
Friday- Sunday 12-6pm