Supporting the fair trade movement is a terrific way to empower workers across the globe and contribute in your own way to a fairer and more equal Earth. Showing your support for fair trade can encompass a whole host of activities, from supporting local economies to purchasing fair trade products and reducing your environmental footprint. Not only will you feel better for making fair trade purchases, but you can enjoy better quality products than those available from sweatshops. Read on to learn how you can support and grow the fair trade movement today.
What Is Fair Trade?
Fair trade is a movement among businesses that seek to uphold certain economic, social, and environmental standards. Fair trade companies support the protection of workers’ rights and the environment with fair pay, safe working conditions, and sustainable processes. To ensure that a brand claiming to be fair trade is living up to those standards, organizations such as the Fair Trade Federation (FTF) exist to confirm businesses that actually enact fair trade practices. Passion Lilie has also created a handy ethical shopping guide to help consumers determine if a company supports ethical, fair trade practices.
Why Support Fair Trade?
There are plenty of reasons to support the fair trade movement, but these are a few of our favorites:
Fair trade means fair pay and working conditions for farmers and
producers. All fair trade products are made in safe, healthy working conditions, where producers are paid a fair wage for their work and have a say in the process.
- Fair trade is better for the environment. Fair trade supports and encourages sustainability, which can range from lowering pollution levels to reducing waste and much more.
- Fair trade is safe. Fair trade utilizes integrated farm management systems that limit the use of harmful pesticides, which means fair trade food, clothing, and other organic products are safe and healthy.
- Fair trade supports workers’ communities. With an emphasis on supporting the local communities of producers and workers, fair trade can improve artisans’ communities, schools, healthcare, infrastructure, and more.
- Fair trade means sustainable local economies. Fair trade gives producers and artisans control over their own destinies with fair wages, safe and healthy working conditions, and other workers’ rights, meaning they can eventually build their own businesses and put the profits right back into their local economies.
Ways to Support Fair Trade
Ready to show your support for the fair trade movement? Here are a few great ways to get started:
- Invite a fair trade speaker to your school, company, or city to spread the word.
- Learn about fair trade issues and help others become educated as well.
- Turn your community into a Fair Trade Town.
- Work with local businesses to encourage and help them “go fair trade.”
- Use fair trade products, such as the affordable ethical clothing and other eco-friendly apparel and accessories available at Passion Lilie.
For unbeatable comfort and style, choose our fair trade Hex Flex Men’s Button Down Shirt. We use soft, breathable, poplin cotton to make this sturdy, comfortable, machine washable shirt. Meanwhile, the geometric pattern and carefully tailored fit make this shirt a great choice for everything from a day in the office to a night out with friends.
This canvas bag is the perfect eco-friendly, fair trade tote for carrying groceries, gym clothes, your laptop, and whatever else you might need. Our trendy elephant design is block printed with a hand carved wood block using vibrant, environmentally friendly dyes.
Support the Fair Trade Movement by Shopping with Passion Lilie
As an eco-apparel company, Passion Lilie is wholly devoted to making fair trade products designed in New Orleans and handcrafted in India. Purchasing clothing, accessories, homeware, and even recycled greeting cards from Passion Lilie is a chic and unique way to show your support for the movement while looking good too. Visit our website to view our full line of eco-apparel and other products, and start supporting fair trade now!