Making green changes to your lifestyle is so important as we look for ways to better ourselves when a new year begins. There are small, attainable changes for people just starting out their new way of life, but there are also bigger strides people can make as seasoned sustainable beings.
Shop ethical fashion
Supporting clothing brands that are ethical can make a huge difference in your carbon footprint. The textile industry is one of the most wasteful in the world; textiles take up about 5% of all waste in landfills, are notoriously difficult to recycle, and factories use a lot of energy to produce them. An ethical clothing brand means that the environment, employees, and their overall impact on the world is taken into consideration. At Passion Lilie, natural energy, waste reduction, and water reduction are priorities. Beyond that, employees are empowered to be creative with their craft and enjoy healthy working conditions. Clothing is a fun way people can express their personalities on a regular basis, so it’s important that your clothes represent your personal values as well!
Reducing the use of plastic is usually the first thing people do when looking to live a greener lifestyle. Countries and states all over the world have banned plastic grocery bags, plastic straws, and single-use plastic all together! However, it’s important to look beyond your usual frowned-upon plastic items and look into replacing the other plastic items in your life too.
- Instead of buying exfoliating body washes with dangerous microbeads in them, opt for a natural bar of soap. Not only are you saving marine life from ingesting toxic chemicals, you are also saving yourself from buying another plastic bottle.
- Items like daily contacts are a necessity for some, so they are often overlooked when attempting to reduce plastic waste. Luckily, you don’t have to settle for wasteful contact packs anymore! Instead, switch to a brand that offers innovative contact lenses that use less plastic packaging.
- Even makeup brands are becoming more conscious of the ingredients in their products, the energy output their factories produce, and the sustainability of their packaging. Shop makeup brands that offer eco-friendly packaging, use organic and vegan ingredients, and are ethically sourced.
Save energy around the house
Transforming your house into an eco-friendly sanctuary is an effective way to reduce your energy output into the world. Luckily, there are easy and attainable ways to save energy around the house, but there are also big home improvements you can do to help too. Whether you’re ready to take on a big project or not, you can still do your part in making your home more green.
- Decorating your house with plants can help purify the air to remove toxins. If you’re still using toxic cleaning products or have a smoker living in your apartment building, then plants are a natural way to cleanse the air for you and your family. Aloe, spider plants, and snake plants are all low-maintenance and naturally purify the air, so you don’t have to have a green thumb to make this eco-friendly step!
- Another simple fix to save energy and money is turning your heat or AC down when you’re not home. If you spend 8+ hours out of your house, then there’s no reason for the heat to be on a temperature that’s comfortable for when you’re home. Don’t forget to turn it down while you sleep too!
- Replacing old windows in your home is a more expensive and time-consuming fix but nowadays, windows are made to be energy efficient. Not only do new windows help keep all of your heat and AC indoors, they also add resale value to your home if you ever decide to sell! If you’re spending money to heat and cool your home, it’s important to spend the money to ensure it stays inside.
- Solar electricity is becoming more popular for businesses and homes alike due to the fact that it’s a source of clean, renewable energy. Adding solar panels to your house is a big home improvement, but it’s well worth it when it comes to resale value, rebates and tax credits you can earn, and the energy saved on traditional electricity.
Committing to make eco-friendly and ethical decisions in your everyday life is a novel way to kick off your new year. Resolutions can be about bettering yourself and the planet!