It’s finally October! Besides the beautiful weather outside, all of the fun fall festivals, and the changing of the seasons, something else exciting is also happening: Fair Trade Month. Read on to learn more about this annual opportunity to celebrate and spread the word about the fair trade movement.
What Is Fair Trade Month?
Founded back in 2011 by Fair Trade USA, Fair Trade Month serves as a way to raise awareness about the fair trade movement and its importance to our global economy. It also encourages consumers to shop from fair trade businesses instead of businesses that hurt the environment and their workers. Every October, fair trade companies, Fair Trade Towns, and those who support the movement create promotions, events, and other celebrations in honor of Fair Trade Month.
How to Support Fair Trade Month Here in New Orleans
With celebrations happening all over the country, there’s no shortage of ways to participate in Fair Trade Month, and New Orleans is no exception. As a fair trade company whose apparel and accessories are designed in New Orleans, Passion Lilie is committed to supporting fair trade in New Orleans and beyond. Show your support during Fair Trade Month and all year long in New Orleans by making fair trade and sustainable purchases from these businesses.
– When you don’t feel like cooking, fill up on a variety of healthy and sustainable fair trade dishes at Cafe Rose Nicaud in the Marigny.
– With two locations within the city limits (plus one in Metairie and one in Mandeville), healthy food megastore Whole Foods offers a diverse and wide range of fair trade foods for a tasty and nutritious way to show your support for the movement.
– New Orleans Food Co-Op prioritizes fair trade products when available, especially fair trade certified chocolate and coffee. If you become a member, you also have a say in how the cooperative is run, allowing you to have an even larger impact on the food in your community.
– According to Fair Grinds Coffeehouse, it is the sole coffeehouse in New Orleans that is 100% fair trade. All of its chocolate, coffee, and tea is fair trade, so head to one of two convenient locations in Mid City and the Marigny.
– Gourmet donut shop District Donuts only uses Stumptown Coffee, which is fair trade and even has its own location right here in New Orleans. Visit your nearest District Donuts in Uptown New Orleans, Lakeview, Elmwood, or even Baton Rouge.
– Located on Oretha Castle Haley Blvd., Orleans Coffee House serves a range of fair trade and organic certified coffees. It also has an espresso bar on Prytania Street.
– Good Karma is a café in Mid City that specializes in plant-based food and drink. Even better, all of its coffee is fair trade and organic.
– Get your Mardi Gras merch early with recycled beads and throws from Arc of Greater New Orleans. It’s a great way to save money, reduce waste, and provide jobs to workers with disabilities.
– Need a great pair of shoes? Feet First is an independent shoe retailer voted “Best Shoe Store in New Orleans” nine times and counting. It carries a variety of local products, including fair trade accessories and apparel from Passion Lilie.
– Shop for a variety of fair trade clothing, such as the Snuggle in Chevron Sweater shown above, right here at Passion Lilie. We also sell fair trade accessories, homeware, and stationary. To learn about the many benefits of buying fair trade clothing, read our blog post.
Shop Passion Lilie Today and Receive a Free Headband