Happy Mothers Day! How often do we sit back and reflect on everything our Mama has done for us?
Maybe the answer is not quite enough. That's why along with taking your Mom to dinner, buying her a tulip bouquet and the sweetest of sweet cards, you should give your Mama a gift she'll always remember that represents your fair trade, environmentally friendly values. We're just trying to care for the world like we want to care for our Mamas anyway, right?
1. The Biratu Charm earrings from Raven & Lily have a jaw dropping story--they're made in Ethiopia and transformed from bullet casings that were intended to harm into beautiful jewelry. These earrings will remind your mother that no matter what she has gone through, there is always beauty to be found when the dust has settled. The earrings also employ women who are HIV+ to provide them with hope for a better future.
2. Does your Mama got a green thumb? This Sari Macrame Planter is a perfect addition to adorn the kitchen windows when Mom is cleaning up dishes after a long day. The fabric hanger is also made from recycled saris, so your conscience is soothed knowing something with so many lives can keep on living with new plants and quiet morning sunshine.
3. The older we get the more conscious we become of what we're putting on our bodies and into our systems, especially in regards to our everyday beauty products. Protect and soothe Mom with Mermaid's Purse Organic Olive Lotion. It's super luscious and available in a variety of scents and locally made in Louisiana. Don't forget, ALL of the ingredients are listed, easy to pronounce and 100% organic.
4. Mothers Day puts a spring in our step! The beauty of spring is that it isn't all about holidays--it's the season of growth, potential and brand new beginnings. Help Mama get green with the Passion Lilie Green Striped Scarf! It's 100% cotton and ikat handwoven, aka super lush and lovely for the budding sunshine. Plus, it's fair trade and employs rural artisans in India by utilizing traditional crafting techniques.
5. Let's face it--all Moms have a goofy vintage muse that EVERY child is aware of. Is it Mickey Mouse? Strawberry Shortcake? Star Wars? Good for you--Bonga Chop, a local New Orleans company, creates fantastic make-up bags out of vintage sheets that are sure to bring a flood of awesome memories to your Mom. We may be partial to this precious Hugga Bunch bag, but the Etsy shop is chock full of whimsical bags made with 100% recycled sheets.
6. Sometimes Mamas need that extra push to replace some old everyday essentials--say, their wallet. A Mom will find 500 other things more important to her than buying a wallet, that's where YOU step in. This gorgeous hand-spun Indigo Florentine Foldover Wallet by Joyn India is to DIE for--it is made of vegan leather, fair trade and hand block-printed. It is so beautiful you may just have to buy a matching one for yourself!
7. Who doesn't love another go-to layering piece? This Annabelle Cardigan from Krochet Kids is fantastic for mama to throw on in the morning making coffee and run to the post office in in the afternoon. Plus, every Krochet Kids piece is signed by the person who made it so you can look up their life story on their website. Talk about connection!
8. No two Moms are ever the same, but every Mom can find her favorite color of the rainbow within the blossoms on the Amala Midi Skirt. With deep pockets for daily treasures and a decorative bow that can be tied in the front or the back, Mom will love lounging in this all spring long.
9. Way, way back in Mom's closet is her little black dress and it's been far too long since she's pulled it out. Entice her to wear it to dinner on Mother's Day and surprise her with this gorgeous Hunter Bright Gold and Glass Bead Necklace from The Starfish Project. It'll be a lovely, tailored accent to her classic style and supports women who are recovering from human trafficking.
10. When it comes down to it, all Mothers Day is about is honoring and appreciating the heart of your mother and how strong she is everyday for you. Show her your love all year long with this fair-trade, handcrafted Careful Heart Candleholder so she can light up her own world no matter where you go.